Another Day, Another Dollar

This morning I woke up a little sleepy and said to my roommate "Another day, another dollar."  Then I remember I'm not being paid. http://www.sadtrombone.com 

Last week, I worked on re-testing Ms. Grant's math students on Star Math and we saw much improvement but still had four students (3-Urgent Intervention and 1- Intervention) that need extra help with basic math concepts.  Upon brainstorming with the Math Coach and Ms. Grant, we decided that I would pull these four students daily and work on CMC (Connecting Math Concepts) with them, ensuring they have the mastered the basic foundations in math.

Today was my first day with the small group and we had 15 minutes to meet.  I was convinced we would get through the first lesson in no time:  counting money, place value, measurement, math facts, we could do it!  Ms. Grant looked at me like I was crazy, she knows her students much better than I do.  

Did I mention my University Supervisor was on hand to conduct and informal observation?  Fortunately, she stayed for the first promising five minutes, the minutes where I explained what we would be doing and reviewed the rules.  I have to say, it seemed like the longest 15 minutes of my life.  We only made it through the lesson on counting money because one girl continuously blurted out answers despite me starting with:

"I'm so excited that you know the answer, I'm proud of you for doing math so quickly in your mind but we need to make sure that the others understand too."

and moving to:

"I need you to not blurt out the answers."

to:

"Lock up your lips and give me the key."

During all this, she had somehow (I still don't know what was so funny) laughed until she was blue in the face.  Literally.  She told me she was lightheaded.  I'll bet she was!!!

Clearly, classroom management is going to be the key and any and all suggestions are welcome in how to manage disruptive behavior. 

I conclude with a picture of the sunset from the drive home yesterday.  Gorgeous.






  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira