Guiyang

Good morning from Guiyang!  I'm safe and sound and savoring every moment!  I was experiencing technical difficulties due to not purchasing a VPN before I left.  My sister, Carrie Lee, saved the day by purchasing the code for me in the US and emailing me the confirmation codes and installation process.

Lizzy and I are having a great time in Guiyang.  The teachers and headmistress at our school are gracious hosts. Honestly, I've never been treated better.  We are staying at a gorgeous hotel with a wonderful outdoor space with koi and turtles, palms and bamboo.  Our 20 minute walk to school is lined with small shops selling everything from school supplies to mattresses.  We walk pass fruit stand after fruit stand and enjoy the smells and colors on the way to Guiyang No. 4 Experimental Primary School.  


We received good news yesterday:  we will not have to change hotels!  

My home for the next 7 1/2 weeks!


The final stretch of our walk is down an alley which is much quieter than the main road.  Yesterday, Lizzy and I saw a little boy on a tricycle pulling a cage of baby chickens - adorable.  I find the children here to be very sweet. They are eager to share what English they know and are excited to carry on conversations with us.  We are always greeted with friendly, "Hello's" and by the end of the day my cheeks hurt from smiling. 

Entrance to the school, interesting architecture


I have been loving the food here, and learning how to eat it without making a huge mess.  We have yet to visit a dining establishment with napkins or a bathroom with toilet paper.  You'll notice that people carry small packages of tissues at all times!


Travel tip:  Buy a VPN BEFORE you leave!

Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira