Weekend Fun on the Hi-Line

I decided to stay on the Hi-line this weekend and spent time making flash cards and grading papers!  I felt like a real teacher!

As I've mentioned in previous posts, we have several students that struggle with reading.  The students that struggle the most are the ones that struggle to make it to school on time or even at all.  These are the kids that are the most challenging to work with and the ones that need help the most.  When you have students who miss multiple classes in a row, how do you maximize your time with them when they are present?

We have one student who has missed many days of school and on the days she makes it, is frequently late and misses Reading Mastery, the first block of the day.  Ms. Grant has a sight word flash card deck and we decided that any spare moment with this student would be spent working on sight words.  This little girl is now in the habit of coming to me and saying "Can we do the cards?"  One day, I wasn't able to but asked another student to work with her.  I made sure the girls sat where I could hear them.  I overheard context clues and decoding strategies.  Awesome!

Ms. Grant also had smaller sets of sight word flash cards and we distributed them to our reading group with notes to guardians that they should practice with the students every night.

Life in Cut Bank news: Saturdays are quiet.  I was looking forward to checking out Java Time, the coffee house at the end of the street but I learned they are closed on the weekends :(  It was 40 degrees, sunny and absolutely gorgeous so I hopped in the car and drove up to St. Mary to walk along Going-to-the-Sun Road.  It was the most beautiful day I have seen in a long time but the wind was relentless and I was only able to walk about a mile.  I snapped some photos and told those mountains that I'd be back this summer.
Singleshot Mountain
 Divide Mountain

A few Cut Bank Photos:

There's a horse on the building but more importantly, check out the color of the sky!

Downtown Mural
 I wanted to get my hair cut but they were also closed on Saturdays :(

Also, I found the Cut Bank bumper sticker!  Let me know if you'd like one:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira