Living in a Dream: Asilah, Morocco

You have to start somewhere.

In 2008, I jumped on a chance to leave the country to attend a wedding in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco.  It was my first time abroad and I had no frame of reference for anything outside of North America.
Village in the Atlas Mountains, 2008

Atlas Mountains, 2008

After touring around, visiting Tagazhout, Essaouira, Merzouga, and Marrakech, I couldn’t help but dream of returning.   On that trip, I bought a set of hand-carved, wooden dice.


Essaouira, 2008

Eleven years later, they still smell like the souk in Essaouira where I purchased them.  I wondered if it was all in my head.  I wondered if it would be difficult, if the language barrier would be too big of a challenge, if getting around would be too complicated…luckily, those doubts weren’t enough to stop me.


Essaouira, 2008

As we planned this adventure, my friend Annie and I decided we’d settle on 2 days in each place: 2 cities by the sea, one in the mountains.  Logistically, this meant meeting in Madrid (we like to meet in Spain, apparently), flying into Tangier in the north, renting a car to drive to Chefchaouen and Essaouira, and then flying out of Marrakech.


For blogging logistics, I'm going to do a 3-part post by city to break down how we got there, what we did, and what we loved in each city.  Spoiler alert - we loved everything.

Flying into Tangier

Airbnb has revolutionized travel and the generous hospitality of all of our hosts greatly added to our love of this particular holiday.


Rooftop Views, Asilah


Atlantic Ocean, Asilah, 2019

Thanks to our Airbnb host, Christian, our taxi was awaiting as we quickly snagged our bags in Tangier.  Annie was delighted to arrive and see our charming driver holding a sign with her name on it.  If you haven't had someone waiting at the airport for you with a sign, I highly recommend making that happen, it feels so special.

Charming architecture over our alleyway

Asilah is a 40ish minute drive south of Tangier, along the coast.  As we drove into the Medina on narrow cobblestone streets, we wondered if cars were even allowed!  Christian was there to greet us and showed us around our new home for the next two nights.

top level of the rooftop terrace, loved this red

This house is my favorite place I’ve ever stayed – (here's the listing if you decide to make a go of it: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17549442?guests=1&adults=1) there were so many terraces and patios, we didn’t have enough time to enjoy them all.


Dream Kitchen/Dining Room

First Floor Patio
2nd floor Patio, love the architecture

The rooftop featured not only views of the Atlantic, but was also stylishly decorated and the perfect spot to nap off the jet lag.


the most gorgeous rooftop, I call this color "Asilah Blue"

Christian took us on a short walk through town pointing out his favorite places and helping us get oriented!

Wandering...

Street Art, Asilah

I loved the international vibe of Asilah – many locals spoke Arabic, Spanish, French, and English, and I swear I’d even catch a “Ciao!” here and there.  There’s an international art festival there during summer that I’d be honored to attend (maybe sell at?! dream big!) one day.  Art filled the streets and the shopkeepers were fun to chat and barter with without being pushy. 

my favorite piece of street art, Asilah
This guy was so much fun, he called Annie a "Fussy lady" a nickname that will live on forever!

Shimmery sunset, Atlantic Ocean, Asilah

As I'm taking in the sunset, pottery washed up with every wave!  I couldn't believe my eyes.


As my mind wandered, I often wondered why I like to get so far away, leave my comfort zone behind - possibly because my comfort zone has been very uncomfortable lately?  Or, because Morocco is simply a beautiful, wonderful place?  Let's go with the latter.




If I had to pick on thing that really made Asilah stand out, I think it would be the color combos and the blues.  The sea is the influencer and next, the architecture, doors and windows, walls with crumbling paint, uncovering layers and stories.  Narrow, crooked alleyways, the vibrancy of the merchandise hanging in the streets, all handmade in different parts of the country - incredible.


My favorite door in Asilah (I know, I say that about all the doors)

Of course, I harnessed all the inspiration I could.  Despite being on limited sleep in Asilah, I remember feeling more alive than ever, energized by the colors, textures, architecture, the medina, the city walls, the merchants, artists, paintings, baskets, rugs, ceramics - it's all so beautiful.


so colorful
more wandering...
Favorite basket vendor, gorgeous set-up!

It's a distinctive look and I love it.  Lots of pattern and color, yet black and white is still king.


View of the dining room/living room 

I was also enamored with how the colors changed throughout the day.  We arrived mid-day-ish and Asilah welcomed us with its bright mid-day sunshine, we took sunset in from our terrace for the peachy dusk and the colors changed again as the sky began to darken.  Lanterns lighting the walkways lit up giving an orange glow to the buildings, perfect with the golden tail-end of sunset.


Sunset, Asilah, 2019

Sunrise, Asilah
And, ask you could probably imagine, I loved the soft colors of the sunrise even more.
I'm in love with Asilah, its mellow vibe, the sound of the ocean, its colors, the people's acceptance of all, their promotion and encouragement of art.

more street art, view from breakfast 

Street Art, Asilah  (I bought a painting that looks just like this!!!)

And we can't forget all of the adorable kitties!  This one was loving the sunshine.

Obviously, I am very pleased with how we thoughtfully planned the beginning of our trip.  After long days of traveling, Asilah was the perfect place to relax, unwind, and get our footing.  Everyone we met was warm and welcoming.  Next time (yes, we're already planning the next one!), we'll plan to stay for longer to explore the beaches just outside of town, the locals say they're incredible.


iconic Asilah
I'll leave you with one last iconic door/piece of Asilah street art. 

Please be in touch if you'd like more detailed information and travel tips.

Up Next: Chefchaouen, The Blue Pearl

-Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira