And we're back...with an Ohio Staycation

For those of you that know me well, you know I scoff at the thought of a stay-cation.  Traveling is as essential to my being as water.  So, when I was invited to spend a weekend in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, I began to rethink the beauty of being so close yet so far from home.

In order to indulge in a weekend away, I had to thoughtfully weigh the pros and cons of reallocating time from making and funnel it into time for connecting and decompressing.


You see, my full time gig has this glorious thing...it's called Fall Break.


Ledges Overlook...need to go back for some fall color
I promised myself I'd get up at sunrise each day (not asking too much as it rises at 7ish am now) and try a new trail.  It was time to break the pattern of the comfortable - no biking the towpath, no Oak Hill/Plateau trails, no Ledges Trail - Ok, I was on the Ledges Trail for a bit on Friday but just to the Overlook. How can one resist?

So, there I was, restless, waiting for the sun to rise and I headed straight for the Salt Run Trail.

Keep in mind, I attempted to do a fair amount of research with the trails I was exploring.  I find CVNP needlessly complicated at times and despite having a lot of information out there, I somehow managed to wander Salt Run in the opposite direction as everyone else. 

Salt Run Trail, CVNP


To some, this may be a perk since I feel I had more downhill than up.  Given the post-rain conditions, it was a little tricky.  Combine an insane amount of mud with many steep, downhill sections of trail and you get a thankful me that was overjoyed with each step that I didn't fall.

Muddy Salt Run Trail, CVNP
Next time, I'm going clockwise (I default to counter-clockwise, even at Target) and those hills are mine.  Who wants to join me?

The next hike was harder to wake up to but despite persevering, I arrived at the trailhead a little later than planned.  What was supposed to be 4ish miles turned into 2.  Despite loving this section of the Buckeye Trail, I also encountered STEEP downhill sections covered in MUD!  Since I'm stubborn, I marched up a couple of uphill sections to see what was around the bend only to realize that the way down was treacherous and downright unnecessary.

I never in a million years thought I would turn around and leave a hike unfinished due to mud.  Alas, there's a first time for everything.  Please know that when the moment aligns that the trail is dry and I have a few spare hours, that section of the Buckeye Trail is high on the list.
Ooooh, that light, Buckeye Trail, CVNP
The theme, however, that resonated through the miles and mud, was the light.  I have never experienced a sunrise in CVNP and I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to be right there, even if it was for only two days, to have those stolen, solo moments.

When the sun wasn't forecast to rise, it still managed to appear briefly to illuminate my start.  The misty field leading to the forest was out of a fairy tale - my own personal fairy tale.  


Sunrise, Salt Run Trailhead, CVNP


When I was finally able to get into a groove (despite the mud's best efforts) I felt my mind let go.  I remembered why I love hiking so much.

Sunrise, Buckeye Trail, CVNP

I remembered all the times I have been pushed to my limits and beyond. 

 I remembered turning around at Pitamakan Overlook due to 
60mph wind gusts.   

On the way to Pitamakan Overlook, Two Medicine, GNP, Montana


I remembered that point on Murphy Basin when I thought the desert had won. 

Murphy Basin, Canyonlands, Utah (before things got ugly)

 I remembered not reaching the summit of Rising Wolf.

Rising Wolf, Two Medicine, GNP (Not even close to the summit but still insanely gorgeous)

I remembered bruising my entire leg on Bullet Canyon at mile 5 but still managing to finish the 10 miler.  Yes, the plane ride home was brutal!
Bullet Canyon, Cedar Mesa, Utah

It seems unbelievable that I sometimes feel my limits are pushed to those extremes, not by physical challenges, but by day to day life working full-time and nurturing a small creative business.

I am grateful for this thing called Fall Break.

And while I find myself feeling a bit guilty for indulging in trails and beaches, friend time and family time, I know that I'm doing exactly what I need.

Sometimes, you need a stay-cation to remind you, ground you, and push your limits.

If you're considering a wander on any of CVNP's many glorious trails, consider planning to arrive at your trailhead a few moments before sunrise.  You won't regret it.



-Natalie







Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira