New York, New York


Sometimes I think life is moving too fast to post an update.  Sometimes I think only my mother (you do really read this, right mom?) keeps up with my posts.  Sometimes I remember how much I enjoy scrolling through my own past and remembering moments that may have otherwise slipped my mind.
Most of my spare time is spent searching for treasures along Lake Erie
As I'm coming up on living in Cleveland for 14 months and the one year anniversary of living in the SAME apartment (hey family, friends…is this a world record?!) I'm finding my overall state of mind in a state of unrest.  I get antsy, therefore I travel and reflect.

The Land.
So, here I am, in Brooklyn, in my dear friend Beth's apartment this fine extend-o Labor Day weekend, sipping on coffee and typing for the third time since February.  

Sure there are multiple posts started.  In case they are never finished (outlook not good),
We'll play a quick game of catch up:

The first, on Spring Break and the loveliness of California's Joshua Tree and San Fran:
California poppies, Antelope Valley
My buddy Annie and I had an incredible time in Joshua Tree.  The trails were stunning, the cacti were blooming, and the weather was perfect.  
29 Palms, Joshua Tree
Hidden Valley, Joshua Tree

Joshua Trees at sunset
San Francisco: Arguably my favorite get-away was fabulous as always.  This trip was perfect due to the countless beaches we walked and gorgeous weather - did I mention it was snowing in OH??  

More California Poppies
Golden Gate Bridge
And then there's one on Montana, of course…I drove solo to and from the Treasure State this summer for Nat and Neil's wedding.  The best part of Montana is not the trails and the views, it's the people. 
Hidden Lake
Thank you, Sinopah, for teaching me about limits and challenges.  We will meet again.
Two Medicine 
Highline Trail, GNP
Nat & Neil's Wedding with Kate & Tracy
Overjoyed to return with a piece of fine art, thank you, Garrett :)
View more of his incredible work here:  http://www.ethannathan.com/

Let's also not forget that I finished up the school year with my fourth-graders, have a new group of third-graders, and we're already one month in!  

Fourth-grade, loving end of the year picnics

I've also been chipping away at a beach glass jewelry line and thanks to my sister and mom, have been a part of two shows. A web presence is in the works.  

In progress...

My school starts EARLY.  I hightailed it back from Montana to make it to a team building day in Mohican because I support these sorts of things and there I was, back at work on July 23.  That's very much still summer.  

Payed to kayak, Mohican

Hope you enjoyed the highlights of life between February and September.  Whatever happened to the goal of posting once a month?!

Back to New York...

The nice thing about living in Cleveland it is close to many other places!
So, thank you, New York, for now being so close.  I've missed you.
Hard to believe it's been 6 years.

You know what's inspiring about New York?  Everything.

Unisphere, built for the 1964-1965 World's Fair in NYC
Everything is here.  You have access to anything you want.  You can eat anything you want (but you stick to bagels & pizza). You hear unidentifiable languages spoken on the street.  There is a pulse.  New Yorkers move with a sense of urgency and efficiency.  The subway screeches, sirens blare, and somehow, you wander the streets, completely anonymous (always hoping for a celeb sighting) and it calms you.

Or, does it?

Jury's out.  The lifestyle definitely pushes you to think.  Wonder.  Ponder.

Am I really at a the U.S. Open?!
Beth and I did some incredible things this weekend - the most inspiring:  The U.S. Open!!!  I'm not opposed to making this an annual tradition.  Turns out, you can purchase tickets that let you into all of the stadiums except Arthur Ashe.  We were able to watch Martina Hingis' doubles match and sit court side for a men's doubles and mixes doubles matches as well.  I love tennis and have not played in years.  My shoulder is twitching at the thought of serving again, my hands remembering the two-handed backhand grip and the western forehand.  Sigh.  Tennis anyone?

Courtside for men's doubles.  I loved how the players communicated, whispering plays into the tennis balls.  Magic.

We also took an epic bike ride through Brooklyn to Coney Island.  I was very impressed by Brooklyn's bike lanes.  As we cruised down Ocean Parkway, I noticed people sitting on benches enjoying the sunshine.  They appeared to be waiting on an interview with Brandon Stanton of Humans of New York.  HONY reminds me that everyone has a story.  
As I pedaled, I wondered what each person might say.

Down on the boardwalk, Coney Island
Coney Island is a journey back in time.  It was refreshing to see all that were enjoying Coney Island's splendor on this particular scorcher of a Labor Day.

The Cyclone.  My favorite (not Beth's) so no headaches or whiplash this trip :)
I nearly forgot about the perfect Saturday evening.  After I landed and reunited with Beth, we wandered around downtown.

Dinosaur Designs, where I get too overwhelmed to buy anything!  
Well, we strategically wandered from Dinosaur Designs' beautiful new store, across the street to Cafe Habana for plantains and Mexican-style corn, to the East Village to the Upright Citizens Brigade for Improv (SO GOOD) and then over to Little Italy for a pizza and prosciutto wrapped melon - pure perfection.  I'd relive that sequence of events any day.  

I'd say that Labor Day weekend was a Grand Slam!
Thanks, Beth for your generous hospitality and outstanding navigational skills!
As we made our final descent into Cleveland, I felt a disturbing amount of turbulence.  I opened the shade to find myself directly over downtown.  The plane steadied and I realized that even though I adore big cities, I appreciated coming home to Cleveland and my humble apartment 
more that I ever imagined.  

Tower City looks so TINY!  

And for that, I am grateful.  

Until next time...

Natalie

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira