One more snow day and I'll finally update this thing...

 I have worked just one day in the past ten.  On one of these blissful days off, I said out loud, "Another snow day and I'll have to update this blog."  I am a woman of my word so here's what's been going on in Cleveland (of all places) since I left off…in August.

Ashtabula River, so pretty.  Who knew?!
First, let me start by saying things have been great but I still find myself waking up, looking out the window and asking myself, "Where are the mountains?!" 

Lake Erie has been a suitable substitute, Edgewater Park
It took a while to find a great place to live.  My parents were so kind as to let me inhabit my old bedroom for a couple of months while I worked and searched for a humble abode.  That hour commute each way was excellent for catching up on Podcasts.  However, I'm thankful to be 10 minutes away from work, in a neighborhood with wonderful places within walking distance - especially since we've had more snow than Montana - anyone want to fact check this?

My co-workers and I at Brite Winter, a winter music festival in Cleveland
As far as work is concerned, I've been teaching 4th Grade at Village Preparatory school in downtown Cleveland.  I feel like I won the lottery in terms of co-workers, we work hard but manage to always find ways to keep it light.  Our school has a co-teaching model and it's great to have someone to bounce ideas off of, divide and conquer tasks with, and best of all, it's awesome for the kiddos.  Our class started off with 30, now we have 29 due to one moving away.  

Scholars gathered in Unity Hall for our monthly gathering, Unity Circle
Most of the curriculum is provided by the administration.  We are currently using GO! Math, Units of Study for Teaching Writing from Lucy Calkins, and focus on Ohio History in Social Studies to name a few.  We also use the Benchmark Assessment System (BAS) and Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) as ways to monitor student progress over the school year.  And, our kiddos will take the big bad PARCC assessment in just a few weeks.  We're sort of in a panic as we have lost so much practice time due to the cold and some snow.  
BAS Level Tracking in our classroom, Oberlin College
Our school is focuses on College Prep and each classroom is named after a local (in most cases) university.  The school is very structured.  From walking in the halls, to answering a question, to celebrating with a cheer, policies and procedures are consistent school culture builders in each classroom. 
Offices up, Heads down, focused 
We've been on two field trips this year (so far).  The first was to see the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall.  Somehow it was MY first time in Severance and it is, hands down, the most beautiful music venue I've ever been in.  

The Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall, November 21
The second was to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  This was also my FIRST time in Cleveland's Natural History Museum.  And, it was fabulous.  The scholars have been focused on Ohio History and had just learned about the pre-historic American Indian tribes in Ohio.  This day helped that knowledge sink in and gave the students a chance to have their questions answered by our expert guides.  They also were able to experience many hands-on learning activities and even pet a Madagascar hissing cockroach!
 Excited to learn more about Ohio History, Natural History, January 16

Now, a little on Life in Cleveland…

One of the many awesome things I've learned about Cleveland is that when the kids are off school for a long weekend, the museums offer free admission!  I took advantage and headed to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and wow, was it ever packed!  The exhibit I went to see was called: Common Ground: The Music Festival Experience.  I'd be lying if I didn't say the day brought tears to my eyes.  I love music.  I love festivals.  I love music festivals.  So many memories.

"Teachers, leave them kids alone"
Aside from the people, hiking is the thing I miss most about being away from Montana.  Cleveland and it's many suburbs are filled with beautiful Metroparks but I am still learning, piecing trails together bit by bit. I find myself yearning for those long days on the trail, starting after coffee, wandering for miles and miles until the sun is setting, rinsing off in a lake, heading off to a celebratory dinner, and finally headed home for a contented slumber.  Sigh.

What is the Cleveland equivalent of Dawson-Pitamakan???
So far, I do love what I've found in the Cleveland Metroparks.  My favorite is the Rocky River Reservation - close to home and a great place to jog.  I'm working on jogging more to supplement hiking and have completed 3 fun runs - slowly.  The first was a 5K Superman Run for Breakthrough Schools, our network of Charters.  The second was the Bernie Shuffle, 5K.  The third, A Christmas Story House, 10K.  All fun.  All VERY Cleveland!!!  

Co-workers and I having a blast despite the rain!  Bernie Shuffle, November
My personal goal is to speed things up so I can run with my old college buddies.  Jodi and Beth, I'm looking at you!

Jodi and I at A Christmas Story House Run - still fun despite the rain!!!
Another Cleveland phenomena has been the ease of getting CAVS tickets!  I thought with LeBron's return, it would be impossible to get them but it's not so bad.  So far, I've been to three games against the Raptors, Timberwolves and Lakers.  It's SO fun to be in that arena - sure beats listening to the games on my radio.  
Wine and Gold
With Beth at our annual holiday Cavs game.  This year, Timberwolves got destroyed!
The last big focus has been slowly working on my jewelry line.  It's been cathartic to comb the beaches (not lately) for beach glass.  I am now able to drill my own giving me flexibility on what I want to do with a find.  Currently, some pieces are for sale at DeFina's in Ashtabula, Harbor.

Agate earrings and pendants, pearls hand selected in China 
Beach Glass drilled and ready to go - displayed on Tina Frey pieces
Life is moving quickly.  Being near family and old friends is exceptional.  I've had so many brunches with Val and Cleveland fun days with Carrie Lee. The glorious Winter Break seems like ages ago and I cannot even remember my New Year's Resolutions.

Tranquil waters at Highland Beach, Christmas, Ashtabula
 I catch myself pausing to grasp those small moments (both inside and out of the classroom) to remind me of how gracious and welcoming Cleveland has been these past 7 months and 12 days.  I'm grateful every moment to be close to home and after all these years, it feels like home.

Natalie

Comments

  1. Well written ...very interesting ...Glad you back in Cleveburg !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira