With a Little Help from My Friends

Hello February!  I must say, January went by in a flash.  Did it feel that way for you too? 

Living in East Glacier in the winter is snow joke.
But, overall, it's a delight thanks to a little help from my friends.
From commuting (and insisting I take the easy days), to leaving surprise trout in my freezer, to inviting me on outdoor adventures, to helping out in my classroom; my friends have been supportive, encouraging, helpful, wonderful, and invaluable.

Now, on to the scenery and what we've been up to in Room 20!
East Glacier Panorama
The landscape that keeps me mesmerized, enthralled, hypnotized, captivated, entranced, and hooked.
No two days ever seem to look the same!

East Glacier
A stunning Sunday sunset


Sunset beyond the underpass

Working on Saturdays isn't so bad if the drive home is this gorgeous!

I was invited on a snowshoeing/ice fishing (I wasn't fishing) adventure up to Flattop Lake in St. Mary.  I was sick with a cold but couldn't pass up a St. Mary adventure.  
Turns out, these views are the cure-all.
Divide from the trail up to Flattop Lake
Napi Point
Looking towards Many Glacier

And here's what's new in Room 20:

Exciting things are coming together in our class.  A co-worker suggested I try using the website, Donors Choose, to get supplies for the classroom.  The combination of generosity from family (thank you again, Mom and Choco!), friends, and total strangers led to our cupboards being stocked with real drawing paper, oil pastels, and watercolors.  Art has been cut in our school and it is my New Year's resolution to add art to our weekly routine.  

But first, we will cover the Winter Olympics!  Each student selected a country to follow and we are all excited to watch the athletes from Montana!!!  Click here to read about Whitefish's Maggie Voisin.  She's the youngest member of the U.S. Olympic Team!  Whitefish is VERY proud!!!


Last week, my students were treated (pun intended) to a surprise guest speaker.  My friend, Chef Justin, just happened to be passing through Browning with a plateful of homemade chocolate chip cookies and agreed to co-teach a lesson.  
Chef Justin and his Sous Chefs
For homework, students had the task of doubling a Trail Mix recipe.  Students who figured out the new recipe were invited to be Chef Justin's Sous Chefs and help mix and distribute the Trail Mix.  In order to add more math into the lesson, students worked together to triple the recipe.  

Q & A with Chef Justin
Chef Justin entertained questions in an engaging Q & A session.  The students were very curious as to what inspired Justin to become a chef (he didn't like his mother's cooking!) and how long he had to go to school.  They were also surprised to hear that he did NOT work in a restaurant but was a caterer.  I'm not sure the students grasped the concept of going to people's houses to cook but they were very curious.

Q & A with Chef Justin
After distributing the Trail Mix, each student was able to try one of the cookies that Justin baked.  The class was impressed that Justin had his own business selling these same cookies.

Trail Mix - yum!
The next morning, I asked students what they thought of the lesson.  I smiled as I heard over and over, that those cookies were the best they had ever tasted.  Well done, Justin.
And, thank you for visiting our classroom.  

This winter has been fabulous because of the amazing people in this world that I call my friends.  I'd be lost without all of you, both old and new.  

Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira