Happy Holidaze!

Happy Holidays!

Boy, was I naïve to think that two weeks off from school was a long time.  

The time went by quickly as I embarked on a trip to Ohio to celebrate my sister’s 30th birthday, Christmas and New Years.  While traveling during the holidays is not anyone’s cup of tea, the benefits of being home late in December win out as old friends and classmates also make the trek so everyone can rejoice in Ashtabula’s glorious splendor for a few days and catch up on what everyone had been up to!

But, first, it is important to mention that we had our 6th grade Christmas program on Friday, December 20.  This year, 6th grade chose to sing cultural Christmas songs.  They delighted families with renditions of “Feliz Navidad”, “Mele Kalikimaka”, my personal favorite, “Dominic the Donkey”, and “The Twelve Days of Christmas – Native Style.”  Have a listen and look here, if you wish:


I flew to Columbus, Ohio the next day.  I was met at the airport with news of delays.  Luckily, my flight to Denver was delayed but so was my flight to Columbus so it all worked out.  I landed at midnight instead of 9pm but was thankful to have made it.

On Sunday, December 22, my little sister turned 30!  Wow.  We started off the day at the Short North’s Northstar Café, our favorite brunch spot and meandered around the Short North shops our favorites being Tigertree, Big Fun and Homage, Homage is the place to get all of your Ohio sports team t-shirts and I was overdue for a new script Ohio shirt J Before heading home, we stopped for a cup of the always delicious Jeni’s ice cream. 


My sister and I decided it was a must to see Anchorman 2 and that Studio 35 was the place to see it.  This might be the first sequel to live up to its hype – it was hysterical and fun to see the ensemble cast all on the big screen together again. 


Monday rolled around quickly and my sister, brother-in-law and I hopped in the car to head to our parents’ house.  But first, a stop in Cleveland for a Cavaliers basketball game!  My friend Beth from NYC met us at Bar Cento in Ohio City for an awesome pre-game dinner – We tried the famous Sunnyside  (read about it being the #1 pizza in Ohio here:  50 States, 50 Pizzas - Zagat) and it definitely lived up to its hype!   Let’s be real, who wouldn’t love bacon and eggs on pizza?!


The Cavs game was a blast despite their loss to the Pistons and it was fun to get into the Cleveland sports team mentality again of always hoping and praying for a win despite the odds!

An hour drive led us to our parent’s house in Ashtabula.  The same house we both grew up in, amazing.  I was greeted dramatically by my mother who exclaimed, “Can it be I haven’t seen you in a whole year?!” Nope.  See post, Summertime.  Thank goodness for this blog sometimes! 

Mom and me, Beach Glass Festival, June 30, 2013
Christmas at the Rich’s is mellow and centered around food.  First course, coffee and mom’s famous sugar cookies.  We then use that little sugar and caffeine burst to open presents. 

Merry Christmas from Spencer! 
The big event on Christmas Day is Christmas dinner (more like Christmas late lunch) when mom prepares homemade wedding soup and ravioli.  The ravs were great this year, as usual and definitely worth flying across the country for!

Table's all set!  
As the evening wore on and our food comas wore off, we hopped the car and drove to Lake Shore Park’s Lights on the Lake.  We also drove over both the longest and shortest covered bridges in Ashtabula County. 

Lights on the Lake, Lake Shore Park 
No trip home would be complete without at least one Cleveland Fun Day!   I met my friend, Beth, at the newly renovated Cleveland Museum of Art.  I had wanted to see Ai Weiwei’s Zodiac heads and they were conveniently on view in the Atrium.



The Cleveland Museum of Art
Beth and I hopped over to Tremont for a late lunch at Lucky’s and then walked over to The Christmas Story House!  2013 marks the 30th Anniversary for The Christmas Story movie making it a fun year to visit.

Leg Lamp proudly displayed in Ohio City
We learned so much about the history of the house and movie.  Turns out, most of the interior scenes were done on a sound stage but the exteriors and the scene where Ralphie is writing his theme and looking out the window were filmed inside the house.


Across the street, you can find a museum with memorabilia from the movie as well as a massive gift shop for all of your leg lamp needs.

Upon my return to Ashtabula, I was invited to see my friend, Nicole, who was visiting from England.  It was decided that I would accompany her on a trip to Niagara Falls the following day!

Niagara Falls, New York 
Niagara Falls is about three hours from Ashtabula and I haven’t been since I was in high school so my memory is a bit poor.   We didn’t have a ton of time so we took pictures, had lunch and drove back to Ashtabula.  I was surprised at how many people were visiting the falls that same wintry day but seeing the water’s mist and the snow was beautiful.  The only bummer was we couldn’t find that photo booth where you take the classic going over the falls in a barrel pic, we will find it next time!


I decided that instead of crashing my parents’ New Years plans, I’d head back down to Columbus to spend more time with my sister and friend, Natalie. 

Happy New Year!
We spent the day wandering about our old haunts on Ohio State’s campus and reminisced about classes we had in this building or that all while marveling at the renovations and new buildings.  

University Hall, The Ohio State University

The Wexner Center for the Arts, The Ohio State University
My sister remembered the best views are from the 11th floor of the Main Library so we wandered in, astonished at the sleek, modern feel of the new first floor lobby. 

Main Library, The Ohio State University

Inside the Main Library, The Ohio State University
View of the Main Oval from Main Library, The Ohio State University
View of Ohio Stadium or The Shoe from Main Library 
Due to the crazy storms in the Midwest, I ended up with an extra two days in Ashtabeautiful.  

Being stranded was a-ok as I was able to grab one last cup of coffee at the Harbor Perk and catch up with the neighbors.  Oh, and watch Ohio State lose to Clemson in the Orange Bowl in the comforts of the Locker Room.  Go Bucks!

Treated to a gorgeous sunrise at Cleveland Hopkins Airport on Saturday as I waited to board.

Traveling to Ohio is always a trip.   It’s interesting to be a tourist in my home state.  To Ohio’s credit, there are always new places to explore, historic sites to visit, restaurants to check out and old favorites to frequent for the sole reason to make sure they are still as great as I once remembered.  There will always be more sporting events (next year, a Lake Erie Monsters’ game is in order) to attend,  shoreline to comb for beach glass and spots to catch those famous Lake Erie sunsets. 

Lake Erie
Thanks, Ohio.  See ya next time.


Happy 2014!

Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira