Breaths of Fresh Air

This weekend was nice.  Thanks to friends, I explored more of East Glacier in two days that I had in the entire two months I've lived here!  The fresh air was rejuvenating as we scoped out cross-country ski routes, admired tucked away cabins, and even visited East Glacier's cemetery. East Glacier is conveniently located on the fringes of Glacier National Park and many of the walks we took this weekend brought us right up to the border where we respectfully turned around.  Tomorrow will mark the 14th day of the government shutdown.  I did read that some National Parks were re-opened for a few days but unfortunately, Glacier was not on the list.  October is one of Glacier's finest months because of the fall colors.  I am grateful to have a job that allows me to live in a place so beautiful and to be able to view Glacier's peaks from my living room window.

What's happening just outside Glacier National Park is beauty that can turn any city person into a nature lover.  I hope that the beauty happening inside Glacier's borders is not kept secret for much longer.







Just seeing if you're paying attention - the cabin next to my friend Natalee's was torn down and all that's left is a platform of amazing appliances

Aspens are my favorite tree, I never tire of their skinny black and white trunks and neon leaves

And, we even had a little dusting of the white stuff





Don't worry, the weekend wasn't all relaxing walks through forests and meadows gazing at the neon yellow leaves (well, mostly). I did have to go into school for a bit today to do a little redecorating.  Napi Elementary participates in the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program and our class has been discussing respect and came up with an acrostic and another teacher graciously made a poster for our room.  We will be adding some "Respect" artwork to it and I think it will be refreshing to look at.  Notice, it's right by the clock because we're all guilty of looking that way too often!!!  I love that it's orange, a little burst of sunshine to brighten up the place.


I enjoy going in on Sundays because it's calm and quiet.  Today, in addition to redecorating, I did the usual writing of lesson plans, cleaning and taking care of the routine boring organizational teacher stuff all while blasting Pearl Jam.  You just can't get away with that stuff when other teachers are in the building :)

I love that I have tennis balls on the bottoms of my chairs to protect the floors and my room has that faint new-tennis ball smell.  Tennis players, you know what I mean.



Fortunately, this week is a short one.  Thanks to attending some conferences in August, I get a long weekend and I'm taking advantage by hopping on an airplane bound for San Francisco.  I look forward to catching up with friends, smelling the ocean and viewing Leo Villareal's light installation on the Bay Bridge.




Leo Villareal's light installation on the Bay Bridge - can't wait!

Needless to say, I'm excited for a change of scenery even though I've been spoiled by the scenery I'm fortunate to enjoy every day.  I'm looking forward to time with friends and fresh air, San Francisco style.  



Natalie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira