Where has the time gone?

I noticed that I haven't posted in over a month.  Whoopsie.  It's not that nothing interesting has happened, it's that I'm caught in the wave known as the end of the season in Glacier National Park.  


Who am I kidding?!  I'm caught in the wave called 6th grade at Napi Elementary!


15/24 of my students
Abstract Art inspired by Jasper Johns proudly displayed in our class gallery

The year is already flying by.  We are settling in to our routines, getting to know each other, and learning how to work together as a team.  The students love hearing about my adventures in China and were on board when I said I'm trying to get my sister, Carrie Lee, to come out and volunteer!

After school rainbow
We had a blast during Sprit Week.  Each day we dressed up as a different theme - one day we dressed in the style of our favorite decade.  I wore plaid and called it '90s but I loved how many students dressed in '80s gear!  The final day we were treated to the Homecoming Parade.  I wanted to take more photos but I had to run out into the street to collect the candy!  



Now, on to why I live here:

Two hikes were crossed off my bucket list this year, Divide and Double Falls.  Thanks to my friend, Natalee, I finally climbed one of Glacier's peaks - Divide Mountain.  The view was amazing and it felt good to stand on top of a mountain that I see everyday.

View from Divide Mountain
The other check on the bucket list happened thanks to my friends Jeff and Aiofe visiting from Calgary.  Jeff is a photographer (check out his work, it's phenomenal: JCruz Photo) and wanted to shoot Double Falls.  Double Falls is accessed from Logan Pass but special permission is needed to go off-trail.  After checking in with the rangers, we were good to go.  The views were unbelievable and the falls were more beautiful than I ever could've imagined.

Double Falls

The shot behind the shot behind the shot

Logan Pass

See you next year, Going-to-the-Sun Road
With fall brings bundling up and braving the wind for end of season walks in the park.  I jumped on an invite to tackle Siyeh Pass last weekend and the dramatic views stun me every time.  On the way down, we were encouraged by the last push of huckleberries, one of Glacier's precious gifts.

Siyeh Pass
Last weekend, two of my dad's friends arrived via the train.  Crossing Glacier National Park off of their bucket list, they arrived just in time as they enjoyed Glacier Park Lodge's last night open for business!

Glacier Park Lodge - see you next year!
Looking good, East Glacier Bridge!
Anyone who takes Amtrak from Cleveland to East Glacier gets a gold star in my book so I treated them to a quick tour of Two Medicine: Running Eagle Falls, Paradise Point and Aster Falls and in return, they treated me to lunch and Huckleberry Pie at Luna's - good trade!  If I could go back in time and tell my 12 year-old self that one day she was going to take her Columbus Jr. High School Assistant Principal hiking in Montana, she'd think the world had gone mad.

Two Medicine
Needless to say, it was nice to see familiar faces as Ohioans don't often show up in Montana.

Speaking of visitors, this evening I was treated to a delicious dinner at Serrano's with Monica and Kristine from the Montana House. Even though the Montana House is a year-round operation, it's still bittersweet to say, "See you next year" to the summer staff.  I'm grateful Monica and Kristine made the drive over to check up on me and I look forward to working a few weekends this winter for our Look, Listen and Learn series.  Coming up on October 26:  Dan Fagre and Adam Clark present: Glacier National Park:  A Sentinel for High-Elevation Change and Why It Matters.

Monica and me and my new gorgeous scarf made by Kristine!
As for life in East Glacier, I'm settled in to my new house.  I realized that earlier this year, I lived in a hotel and now I live in a vacation rental - not too shabby.  I look forward to bonding with the East Glacier crew over pot luck dinners and craft nights once the snow flies.

My house until June and some of my neighbors
I've been enjoying the 12 mile commute over to Browning and I am realizing that it's not only the breathtaking view of the mountains that defines my love for the East Glacier, it's also the sky.

Good Morning, Full moon
The warmth and comfort of the fire in the wood stove paired and the sound of the wind blowing outside my window remind me that a long, long winter is looming.  For now, I'm welcoming any opportunity to play outside as the days get shorter and the nights get longer.  I'm wondering how much more snow will be on the peaks in the morning...

Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira