Last Day at No. 4

Lizzy and I finished student teaching at Guiyang No. 4 Experimental Primary School today.  It was a bittersweet day for all.  It was also the the 7th day of school in a row and students will have the next three days off to celebrate May Day, the Chinese Labor Day.

Lost in a sea of second graders
I was disappointed that one of my classes was cancelled this afternoon.  Being the last lesson, I wanted to be fair and make sure all classes participated in the same activities.  Unfortunately, it had been decided that today was the day to practice an earthquake and fire drill.  

My spirits were lifted when I realized we were, in fact, in the middle of a Chinese Fire Drill. 


It's no secret that I've become attached to the third graders.  All four classes are great and we had a lot of fun with the lessons.  The students have lively personalities and are funny and spirited. Last week, I read Curious George and the students went bananas.  I read a different story on Tuesday and the students in all four classes started shouting, "Monkey!" They wanted more Curious.  As part of my last lesson we read, Curious George and the Pizza Party since we had just finished a lesson on food and drinks.  

Grade 3, Class 1 loves Curious George

All day students dropped by our office between classes to give Lizzy and me thoughtful presents.  Helen, a third grader, gave me silkworms!


Matt (grade 3) and his mother gave me a set of ceramic Terra Cotta Warriors - perfect as Lizzy and I will visit Xi'an in a couple weeks!

Matt, my biggest fan

Lizzy and I have been reflecting on our time here at No. 4 and we realize that we did not have the typical set-up for teaching English in a foreign country.  In China, it is common for English teachers to be hired at private schools where the families of the students go to great lengths to impress the foreign teachers by taking the them on weekend adventures, hosting lavish dinners and showering the teachers with gifts.

Grade 3

For a Chinese public school, a relationship with an American University's teacher education program provides an affordable opportunity to host English speakers.  While Lizzy and I were not able to be paid for student teaching, the school did provide us with housing for eight weeks, our Chinese domestic flight and breakfast and lunch on school days in the school cafeteria. 

With Julie and Jessie, Grade 3
This partnership also provides an opportunity to live abroad for eight weeks and experience life in Guiyang, a city on the brink of rebirth.  Lizzy and I have been fortunate during our time in Guiyang.  We have taken advantage of every spare moment by joining tours, exploring the city and meeting new friends.

2nd Graders playing clapping games during a lesson
All in all, Guiyang No. 4 provided an authentic experience in a lesser known city in China.  Guiyang is virtually undiscovered.  When I Google places in Guiyang, it is not uncommon for our blogs to be within the first five search results!!!



In two days we will board our first flight to catch our first train to kick off our 3 weeks of travel.  We have been busy booking flights, train tickets, hostels and guides to ensure things go smoothly.  I'm looking forward to exploring more of China and celebrating graduation in Beijing!

Natalie

Comments

  1. WOW ...seems like you just got started....none the less, a great adventure filled with great memories...enjoy the rest of your stay ...hope you'll continue to share your experiences ..Rich & Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rich, time FLEW by. I'm excited to see more of China and we will keep the blogs going as best we can throughout our journey. Thanks again for following along! Hello to Sue. Hope to see you both this summer in Columbus :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Shanghai

For Ms. Mahoney & 5M at Hawthorne Elementary in Missoula, Montana

Morocco 2023: Marrakech & Essaouira